Helpful tips about sewing elastic for swimwear:
- When deciding which width to use, we recommend you refer to your sewing pattern, if you are using one. If you pick a narrow width than suggested in your pattern, be sure to adjust the seam allowance accordingly so that the garment would fit true to size.
- Give it a good stretch BEFORE sewing! This helps to prevent the elastic from stretching out over time.
- The general rule of thumb is to use thinner elastics in necklines, and wider widths in the waistbands.
- Do not use polyester elastic in swimwear - prolonged exposure to chlorine, sun, salt, and sunscreen can cause the polyester fibres to break down over time.
- Rubber elastic can be slippery to work with. Use a teflon foot for a better grip.