Helpful tips about sewing elastic for swimwear:
- Our elastics come in 6mm and 12mm, the most commonly used widths. When deciding which width to use, we recommend you refer to your sewing pattern, if you are using one. If you pick a narrow width than suggested in your pattern, be sure to adjust the seam allowance accordingly so that the garment would fit true to size.
- Give it a good stretch BEFORE sewing! This helps to prevent the elastic from stretching out over time.
- The general rule of thumb is to use thinner elastics in necklines, and wider widths in the waistbands.
- Do not use polyester elastic in swimwear – prolonged exposure to chlorine, sun, salt, and sunscreen can cause the polyester fibres to break down over time.
- Rubber elastic can be slippery to work with. Use a teflon foot for a better grip.
There are no reviews yet.